Thursday, December 25, 2014

Happy Holidays From the Roaming Granny

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season and can get those kids out for an adventure while they get that much needed break from school.

 
I'll be around in the Arizona desert and high country during this holiday season.  Here's a few things that I am considering for the grand kid entertainment.  

Check them out and let me know what you would do, if you were me.  

So - I have a few little family members in Southern Arizona.  Seems like a big attraction around there is Winterhaven Festival of Lights.  It's been around for longer than I have.  I actually remember being driven  through that neighborhood when I was a child.  It was required by the home owners association to have your house decorated if you wanted to live there.  For a child, it was amazing to see all the custom made yard decorations.  Today, thanks to energy conscious people, not all homes are decorated, but the ones that are can put a smile on anyone's face.   There are few nights that you can drive the route but you can walk it or do the hay ride thing. 


I've never been but I am sure the kids might like the Old Tucson holiday decorations.  I really don't have any info but the site gives the pricing.  This is a big maybe but I bet that the kids who live in the desert and see cowboys on a regular basis will not find this really entertaining.  

A little drive North of Phoenix, there's the little town of Prescott, better known as Christmas Town USA during the month of December.  The court house area is amazing and so are the streets of this old town.   How simple is it going to be to take an hour drive for a little dinner and then hot chocolate and lights. 




Prescott Valley is the town you drive through as you enter Prescott.  Don't forget to jump off the main road to catch this little drive thru exhibit known as Valley of Lights.  It is amazing.  And again, it's all free.  




Zoo trips your thing?  If you are from cold country, you will love the warmer winter nights at a brightly lite zoo.  The Phoenix Zoo has lights, hot chocolate and tram rides.  



- - - - and in Tucson, the Reid Park Zoo has lights are just as exciting in a much smaller venue. 



Both zoos admit children 2 years old and under at no charge.  


This is my all time favorite.  I am still attempting to get those 'after Christmas' tickets for a few of us, to hop on the train and head to the North Pole, along with Santa, on the Polar Express.  This is a short trip on a real train that is staffed with elves, Santa's helpers, Santa and Mrs. Claus.  Who better to serve up the cookies and hot chocolate?  For sure this is an event to remember.   

If you want, you could make a weekend of this and stay the night at the affiliated hotel.  Great package deals.

By now the teens are going to be really bored with special activities centered around the little ones.  What will they want to do?   I really need something neat.  This is what I want to do with them.

If I can get the teens to Tucson, the Flandrau Science Center at the University of Arizona.  I love this place.  They have shows, exhibits, viewings - all day long.  Then there are the laser light shows!  I went to these back in the 80's and loved them.  I hope these kids will get a kick out of them too.



There's a ton of activities in the Phoenix area for the teens.  Check out this list -

Fightertown Paintball Park 






This one has me so darn excited.  I can just see the teen boys saying "oh yeah - that's gonna be a blast", with that disappointed and unhappy look on their faces.   I bet once they get started, that will all change.   This is Airparamo.  The photos tell all. 



 OK - here's the last.  And I saved the best for last.  If I had a drum, and if you could hear it, I would do a drum roll right now.   

This is Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course.    And this is going to make me the best Granny ever.  







I'm holding my breath for good weather.  This would not be fun in the snow, bone chilling winds or even winter rain.  If the weather is mild, it's going to be a blast.

You can tell by the photo that this is climbing adventure course, high in the trees.  There are courses for beginner climbers, ages 7 to 11.  I think that is where I belong.  And then there are the courses for those who are brave.  And flexible.  And strong.  And daring.  With a number of courses to choose from, the best part is this  -  if you finish all courses, you have the opportunity to get the 'BLACK  COURSE SHIRT' that is reserved for those who succeed. 

Can you see the healthy competition of the teen boys and girls going on at this adventure?  I, for one, can not wait.  Cross you fingers for the good weather and watch the little video at the end of this post. Impressive.

Guess it is time to make the calls and reservations.  I think I'll leave the older kids hangin' with the thoughts of their vacation being filled with candy canes and sitting around the table singing Frosty the Snowman.  Surprises are always a good thing.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment